With the move from easyjournal to blogspot, I feel compelled to write more (either that, or I am very bored and have a lot more free time at this temping job than my last one. Actually, the later is probably the case). But make no mistake about it; this entry is coming from pure desire, a touch of grit, and a dollop of heart (which also makes for a great low-carb treat!) Now if you are Jewish, you are probably asking "What makes this entry different from all other entries?" Well, it's simple: I'm typing this with a broken finger.
Actually, it turns out I broke said digit a week ago when I fell on my hand while diving to break up a pass in a pick-up football game. I just hadn't gone to the doctor till today, after it had failed to improve significantly over the last 8 days. So it turns out I was playing hurt for that last entry as well (I am now the Brett Favre of the journal/blog circuit. To further follow in Brett's footsteps, I am looking forward to battling an addiction to pain killers, and pass for 30 touchdowns. I think both are very accomplishable).
The way I see it, this is a perfect introduction to the oncoming fall classic. And I'm not talking about the annual swooning of Drew Bledsoe. I'm talking baseball. And it's all I can think about this time of year (mainly because the Sox are still playing in October for the second straight year for the first time in my life). A lot of people (3) have been asking me what I think is going to happen in the playoffs this year. I used to be pretty good at this. At one point, during the 90's, I predicted the AL and NL World Series representatives successfully over a span of 4 consecutive year (this may not seem like much, but I was doing it in June). But with expansion teams improving rapidly thanks to free agency explosion (and a drop-off in general loyalty), I've fell on hard times in recent years. And I'm not gonna lie, this year doesn't look to be any easier. But you can't win if you don't play, so in that spirit, here's the LDS (Leagu installment of my (first annual?) 2004 MLB POSTSEASON PREDICTIONS:
NATIONAL LEAGUE:
Astros vs. Braves: I had Baseball Tonight on for background noise while cleaning my room (a monthly event that I plan to start selling tickets to) about a week or two ago, when I heard someone comment that the Braves will be dangerous in the playoffs this year. After involuntarily scrunching up my face like Mr. Magoo, I was so jarred by the comment that halted everything I was doing just to change the channel, because I cannot tolerate listening to that kind of incredible propaganda (and I sometimes watch The O'Reilly Factor). The Braves have been to the playoffs every year dating back to 1991, winning their division every time. Over that acknowledgeable run, they have made the World Series FIVE, count 'em, FIVE times, winning it ONCE, count 'em, oh wait, just ONCE. They have become so prolific at being an "also-ran" during the playoffs, that you can now use them in reference to "close-but-no-cigar" situations outside of baseball. For instance, the Sacramento Kings are the Atlanta Braves of the NBA. "Friends" was the Atlanta Braves of the Emmys. And the Democrats are the Atlanta Braves of politics. See! How fun! Try it with your friends! Anyway, you get what I'm saying. The idea that this year would suddenly be some sort of aberration from this is unlikely, seeing as how they are going against a HOT Astros club that has not lost a home game since the Clinton Administration (I exaggerate, but you get the idea). Maybe Rafael Furcal would be a dangerous threat, as some people are saying, if he wasn't busy drinking-and-driving. I'll take Clemens, Oswalt, Lindge, the killer B's, and the rest of the 'stros in 4.
Dodgers vs. Cardinals: Let me preface with this: I don't care how many games you win in the regular season, I don't like teams that back into the playoffs, which is just what the Cards did, losing 5 of their last 7 after clinching the Central early. Combine that with no Chris Carpenter for the first round due to injury, and this may become a tighter series than people expect. The Dodgers are not without their own woes, however, as an overused and possibly overtired Eric Gagne began showing signs of fatigue down the stretch. LA needs a perfect Gagne to anchor the bullpen, which has been the team's bread-and-butter this year. If that doesn't happen, the Dodgers could be living up to their name, dodging pills launched from the bats of the Cardinals, who bring the best lineup in the NL, and maybe the best 1-8 in baseball (Jason Marquis might have a nice swing, but he's no DH). In a close call, Cards in 5.
AMERICAN LEAGUE:
TWINS VS. YANKEES: I had actually considered giving the Twins a shot in this series, right up until Torii Hunter opened his mouth, saying he "wants the Yankees." That should be just about all the extra bulletin board material the Yankees need to get them fired up. Yes, Johan Santana is the best pitcher in baseball, but he can't help Minnesota if he leaves in the 7th trailing 2-1. The Yankees know how to handle great pitchers (I.E. Pedro Martinez, and I'm not just talking about this year). They'll try to do the same with Santana, taking all the pitches they can till they get to the bullpen. If the Twins could trot out two more quality starters, I'd give this series to them. But Radke, Rivas, and Lohse just don't do it for me in the playoffs. The Yankees pitching is not as bad as everyone would like to believe is it, and their lineup is the best they've featured in years. Yanks in 5.
...which brings us to the series I'm been avoiding predicting:
RED SOX VS. ANGELS: Before their remarkable 22 game run that pushed them into the postseason, the Sox had played .500 baseball for 92 straight days. But as they showed last year in the ALDS, and almost the ALCS, 1 game above .500 is all you need to advance... That's much easier said than done against this Anaheim team. The Angels do all the little things well: run, bunt, steal bases, and distract pitchers. Their bullpen is lights-out, with K-rod and Percival controlling a game from the 7th on. This means in order to win games, the Sox have to strike early and often against a rotation filled with these: ??? (Colon? Lackey? Escobar?). Boston's staff is not without their own set of ??? (Martinez? Lowe? Wakefield?) who will need to pitch leaps and bounds better than they did in September, when they went a collective 4-9, with a combined ERA reaching towards 7. And 1 over .500 isn't an option for the Sox this time around, as you can bet that Anaheim will not pull an Oakland and drop a series-clinching finale in California. That being said, the Sox need to play .750 ball at least, closing out the series in 4 games or less. If not, it's Angels in 5. .... But that's not good enough for you, is it? Damn you, always wanting more. Grrrrrrrrr..... FINE. Sox in 4. If for no other reason than so I can walk outside without being accosted.
* * * *
At this point, you may be looking for LCS and World Series predictions, but you know what? You're not going to find them here. I don't see the point in trying to prophesize matchups that haven't been established. It's like trying to predict the winner of a fight between Batman and Spider-man: it's fantasy (Unless Don King schedules this fight, at which time I will divulge in depth analysis). In the meantime, I'll try and tide you over, with a list of things to watch for in the LDS:
- Wu-tang Clan members RZA, GZA, Ghostface Killa, Method Man, Inspecta Death, and O.D.B. posing on-field in Minutemaid Park with Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, and Beltran for a publicity spread that will read "Killer B's Forever"
- Rafael Furcal arriving late to Minutemaid Park after crashing his car into Wu-tang's bus on his way back from the bars.
- Bartolo Colon at a Dunkin Donuts in Boston
- Eric Gagne's arm falling off
- Tom Gordon's arm falling off
- Tony LaRussa trying to stitch together Chris Carpenter's arm
- Bartolo Colon at a Legal Sea Foods in Brookline
- ESPN replaying Dave Henderson's homerun against the Angels in 1986 2,498 times
- Ron Gardenhire glaring at Kyle Lohse
- Pedro Martinez glaring at Terry Francona
- Bartolo Colon glaring at a glazed donut
- Tim Hudson getting in a bar fight in Boston the night following game 3 after Barry Zito punks him by convincing Hudson that he's been traded to the Angels and is starting game 4.
- Joe Buck proclaiming "it's Lima time" every time Jose Lima takes the mound for the Dodgers
- Jose Guillen showing up in Anaheim despite being left off the playoff roster, spitting tobacco on Mike Scioscia's shoes, and subsequently getting suspended for the remainder of the playoffs.
- Jeff DaVanon striking out to end the series, followed by the media immediately questioning the suspension of Jose Guillen.
- Tim McCarver contradicting himself 3,724 times, followed by Deion Sanders pouring water all over him.
- Bartolo Colon at the Krispy Kreme in Medford.
I can hardly wait! As the saying goes, "I live for this."
Until Next Time,
Aaron
FOOTNOTES FOR THE UNINFORMED:
- Mr. Magoo is a little old man (cartoon character) with a scrunched up face.
- The O'Reilly Factor is a show hosted by conservative pundit Bill O'Reilly, who can also be seen licking George Bush's face as well as on occasion fetching his slippers.
- Wu-Tang Clan is a rap group whose members are also known as "The Killer Bee's," which is also what the Houston Astros' 4 B-initialled sluggers have come to be known as. All those who may be skeptical at the idea of the Clan posing for a photo-op like this, let me remind you of ODB's famous prolamation, "Wu-tang is for the kids."
- Joe Buck is a play-by-play announcer with a flare for the dramatic.
- Tim McCarver is a color-commentator who is about as fair and balanced as Fox News.
No comments:
Post a Comment